Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Apples!

Our heirloom apple tree had a huge crop this year. I picked more apples than I have in my whole life combined. Tons and tons of them. I made apple pie, apple crisp, apple empanadas, and, of course, applesauce.



I have a super easy and delicious recipe for applesauce and it's a nice way to use up apples if you find yourself with a billion of them. I froze almost all of mine, making some with my awesome recipe and some without any sugar or spice for upcoming baby. I gave the two jars above away as a gift (hence the cuteness with the fabric top), but the rest I froze in glass jars from pickles, jams, etc. that I've been saving.

So, here is my recipe:

use about 1/2 cup water
around 8 apples, depends on the size and how many you have
1/2 cup brown sugar
cinnamon and nutmeg to taste (figure about a tablespoon of each)

Peel and core your apples. Put them in a pot with the water and let them cook down on a medium heat. You can move the experience along by mashing them as they go. Add the brown sugar and spices when it's still chunky. The Other likes chunky sauce (yup, I really wrote that), so I don't let mine cook down all the way. However I made some for Monty and I that I let cook for around 2 hours so it was super smooth and had a lot of nutmeg in it. YUM.

We'll have more apples soon (two more trees are coming ripe any moment now). Let me know if you'd like some!

No comments: